Must-reads

Monday, April 9, 2012

Darkness at the break of noon

Damn. I've just realised I've written the perfect header for a Good Friday post. As it is now Easter Monday when I am writing this, I have two options:
1) Wait 363-odd days (leap year yada yada) and post then
2) Carry on like a sporting chap

The problems with 1), as you can imagine, are many and varied.They range from the highly-probable (the world ending before then) to the almost-certain (my forgetting to carry through with this cunning plan) to the very-unlikely (my actually getting a life and not needing this activity to keep me in a state of lucidity and semi-sanity). Well, they're all non-zero probabilities, so each may occur, according to the synthesis of "naive inductivism" by my good mate A.F. Chalmers. 2) seems like a more preferable option.

I don't know what the point of the previous paragraph was.

Anywho, I wanted to share this video of Bob Dylan singing "It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding" velocemente

Related to the previous post, videlicet my little tribute poem.

The reason why I find this video special is that it goes for 5 and a half minutes. That's right, a quickened version of a song goes for 5 and a half minutes. Original studio recordings also found on your Tube go for about 10-11 minutes. Keep in mind that this is Dylan singing the words quickly, not a shortened version of the song. Were one to utilise the fast forward function on Media Player, (yes, I have, incidentally on many Midnight Oil songs. I'm obsessed with the Oils at the moment. More on them in another post, perhaps. If you wanted commentary on modern pop culture, well, you're in the wrong place) a standard 5 minute song would last for about half that time. This is the same ratio. I've listened to the full, drawn-out version (not on my bandwidth however, thank god, or I'd never hear the end of it). It's slow. It's understandable (unusual for Dylan) but it's painfully slow. I also have  My dad has a copy of Dylan singing a reasonably-quick live version in 1980, which goes for around 6 minutes. But it's just...I mean...Since when do "fast" versions of songs go for a 5 and a half minutes? Are there any other examples?  Remember, on radio (and yes, I do actually know what I'm talking about for once, well sorta anyway), the longest song will last 4 minutes. And that's probably pushing it. Good onya Bobby, for breaking the mainstream. Plenty of Bobs I know break the mainstream: Bob Brown, Bob Carr &c. Oh, if you want interesting, read Bob Brown's recent speech about "global parliament". It's well delivered, and it certainly didn't deserve the crap that was hung on it by the mainstream media. It's a trope that warrants further thought, and by that I don't mean the four- and five-letter words that I could use to describe the debate the in this country today. Which is another interesting trope, that can't be debated in Australia today. Regression, regression everywhere.

From one Bob, to another Bob, to another Bob, back to the second Bob, back to the first Bob, take it away:

No comments:

Post a Comment