Must-reads

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Motto

"But what does it profit a man if he gains the entire world but loses his soul?"
 -- Matthew 16:26

The time has come to declare what I will  hope will be my modus vivendi for the rest of my life. I apologise to the atheistically-inclined among us for choosing such a nakedly Biblical passage for what is a very symbolic and substantive statement. But funnily enough, hours of (seeming) Bible recitation did not produce this affinity with the quote. I came upon it during the dénouement of my muse's revelatory The Picture of Dorian Gray. Clearly, the whole point is to not forget about the spiritual side of things when earthly possessions come your way. 


An interesting twist is to invert the key subjects in the quote: "But what does it a profit a man if he gains his soul but loses the entire world?" The message here: You can try to be godlike on God's green earth, but you won't be able to share it with anyone. 


The obvious conclusion then is to toe Aristotle's Golden Mean; this is worth a (fairly wordy) blog post in itself; apparently similar concepts appear under different names, like the Confucian Doctrine of the Mean and the Buddhist "middle way". To spare the sanity of my readers, and the lucidity of my writing in this post thus far, (steady, boy) I won't go on to a tangential history of the Golden Mean blah blah blah. 


The whole point is that I have articulated, in the computerised version of permanent marker, a simple worldview that I will try - and just as often as not, fail - to live by, keeping in mind the consequences of what the inverse has waiting 

No comments:

Post a Comment